Sunday, January 24, 2010

White Chocolate Craisin Buttermilk Scones


(those are my hubbie's fingers sneaking a scone)
Ingredients
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup Craisins
3- 1 oz. blocks of bakers white chocolate
1 tbsp. heavy cream for brushing






Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Combine the flour, sugar sal, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.  Add butter and mix with fingertips to a coarse meal (I use my baking cutter - I think that's what you call it).  Add buttermilk and mix just until combined.  Add craisins and white chocolate until combined.  Transfer dough to a floured board and divide into 2 parts.Roll each to 3/4 inch thick rounds.  



Divide in threes and cut each division into 4-6 wedges and place slightly separated on a greased baking sheet.


 Brush the tops with the cream. 



 Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Serve warm.


PARTAKERS:  Don, Grandma, I
APPROVALS:  Good, Delicious, Mmmmmm


I've been making these scones for years but today was the first time I used whole buttermilk.  I usually use fat free or low fat and you know what??  I think I'm going to continue using the whole buttermilk.  Today's scones were definitely thicker and fluffier as well as rich and delicious.  I usually make these during Christmas but just got in the mood for them this weekend.  They're not really considered a dessert but I don't mind having them after dinner :)  


It was a busy weekend, I cooked my heart out, enjoyed every minute of it and thoroughly ....savored the weekend :)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...