Sunday, March 18, 2012

Meyer Lemon Scones

SCONES:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsps. cold butter
1 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
2 oz. (2 blocks) white chocolate, roughly chopped
2 meyer lemons to zest
1/4 cup juice from meyer lemons
3/4 cup buttermilk

GLAZE:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 tbsp. meyer lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350F degrees

Combine the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

With a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks grainy and crumbly

Add the cranberries and white chocolate and combine

Zest two meyer lemons into the flour mixture and combine, save the lemons for the next step

Squeeze the juice from the two lemons and add to the flour mixture

 Add the buttermilk and combine thoroughly, use your hands if you have to (I try my best to avoid using my hands as it's not fun getting guck on my camera) and form into a ball.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes or overnight, just make sure to cover it with plastic wrap.

Place chilled dough on surface sprinkled with flour

with a rolling pen roll out the ball of dough until it's about 3/4" thick

With a sharp knife, divide into eight slices.

 Place on cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown

In the meantime, zest and juice one meyer lemon and add to the confectioner sugar

Whisk until well blended

When the scones are done baking, set aside to cool

Drizzle glaze onto cooled scones

Serve with tea and on your hubby's china...... ooopsy, did I say hubby's china??  I'll save that story for another post....


The more I use Meyer Lemons, the more I love them.  This new batch I bought was amazing.  The second I punctured one, the strong sweet lemon scent permeated my nostrils and my kitchen.  I couldn't wait to see how they tasted in my scones.  It definitely has a tinge of tartness from the lemons but the sweetness from the glaze is a perfect match.  My MIL was so impressed that these scones were homemade and hubby loved them of course.  What a treat to end Spring Break and to ease the "pain"? of heading back to work in the morning.  Mind you, I truly love what I do, but it's been so, so nice to stay home especially with the beautiful weather we've been having.  I was able to do a lot of yard work and gardening, sleep with the windows open, babysit my 19 mo. old grandson and go for a stroll.  I dream of heaven being like this, partly sunny, with a nice breeze, in the mid 70's with my Meyer Lemon Scones, *whimper*  Have a great week!!
I shared this with:
Skip To My Lou

15 comments:

  1. Mmm your scones look wonderful! I just made a batch last week too, it's one of my favorite things to bake! I've never tried them with a lemon-y flavor - great idea! And they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maria, I too love making scones. What is it about them that make them fun? They're so easy to make too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These BEAUTIFUL scones are a must-try for me! I am thinking about making them for Easter brunch!
    Beautiful post! YUMMY too!
    I am a new follower!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon+Scones=Heaven! You are a girl after ny own heart! :) I linked via Wow us on Wednesday. I am a new follower! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you KNOW how much I love lemon so I can't WAIT to try making these! All I need to go buy is the white chocolate since I recently picked up a bag of Myer lemons for the first time. I have never seen them before in my grocery store & now I'm really excited to have the perfect recipe to try them out with.

    AWESOME photos of your step by step recipe. I get food all over my camera when I try to do that! LOL

    Grateful hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I just noticed your pretty lemon wallpaper....Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These scones are deliciously beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these scones look amazing.. I must try to make them. Never have used Meyer lemons, I hope we have them here. Thanks for sharing.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those scones look delicious...I have everything to make them...guess what we will be having for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look absolutely delicious!! I love meyer lemons too--the aroma is invigorating and the taste is sweet/sour all at once! I did scones in my last post too but I must say they did not come out like these! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. "...your hubby's china"??? Hmmmm....I really wanna see THAT post! I loe it when men get into the spirit of it all! I call my husband The Tablescape Whisperer because he has become so good at it. He's actually kinda gettin' on my nerves! ;-) The scones look great, and I'm glad you've been able to enjoy some nice weather. Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry...hard to comment whilst wiping drool off my chin. Would you believe I have never had a Meyer lemon? You have inspired me to look for them the next time I am in the store! Thank you for stopping by for a visit. I hope to see you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The scones look sooo yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe! What's this? No dollop Devonshire Cream? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look really good. Thanks for sharing them at Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well since I am here from Let's DISH, I must say dh's dishes are so very pretty! And I think I can smell the lemon scones through the screen! They look delicious!
    Hope you will share DH"S dishes with us next Wed. at 7!
    Thanks for linking up and linking back!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...