Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MM's Favorite Sandwich

by Pioneer Woman






1 large onion
Butter
2 or 3 lbs. cube steak
Lawry's seasoned salt
Lemon pepper
Black pepper
Worcestershire sauce
Tobasco
4 French or deli rolls
Start by slicing the onion.  Next, melt 1/4 stick butter in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes.  Remove the onion from the pan and set aside.


Cut each piece against the grain into 1-inch strips.  Now season the meat with a nice sprinkling of seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and black pepper.


Add 2 tablespoons butter to the same skillet in which you cooked the onion.  Turn the heat to high.  Let the butter begin to turn brown, about 2 minutes.  You'll want the skillet to be hot.  Now add enough meat to the hot skillet to form a single layer.  Do not stir.  Let it sit for about a minute, or long enough for one side to turn brown.  


Then, using a spatula, flip the meat over.  Cook for another minute, then remove to a plate.  Repeat until all the meat is cooked.


Return all the meat to the skillet and add the cooked onion.  Pour in Worcestershire sauce (in my case since I  didn't have any I ended up using A1 sauce), several dashes of Tabasco sauce (I skipped this because I didn't have any), and an additional 2 tablespoons of butter (I also skipped this step completely - personally I thought it was buttery enough).  Simmer the mixture over low heat for about 5 minutes to thoroughly warm.


Cut each roll in half length-wise.  Spread generously with butter, then brown on a griddle or skillet (I added some Swiss cheese I found in my refrigerator).  Place the rolls face up on a plate, then place the meat mixture on the bottom half.  Spoon  2 or 3 tablespoons of the pan juices over the top.  This will keep the meat moist and seep into the bread.  


Top with the other half of the roll and serve.


My hubby LOOOOOOOOVED this.  He likes cube steak anyways.  This is definitely a meal for my meat and potatoes man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...