Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thick Apple Pie

6 baking apples (6 cups worth when sliced)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon 
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbsp. butter
2 deep pie crusts (I had two Marie Callender piecrusts leftover from the holidays)
1/2 cup flour for rolling


Preheat oven to to 450 - degrees F.
Cast of characters

Core, peel and slice the apples.

Add the lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar.  Stir gently but thoroughly.  Set aside.

Take each pie crust and form into a ball, sprinkle the board with flour.  With the rolling pin, roll the dough into a large circle, until it's about 1/8 of an inch thick and large enough to cover the pie pan.

Wrap the piecrust over a well floured rolling pin and carefully place it over the pie plate.  In my case, I had a thick, deep dish pie plate that just happened to have an apple pie recipe written in it.

Pour the apples and juices into the pie plate and dot with the butter.

Place the 2nd crust over the apples and tuck in all the edges.  Because my pie plate was so deep, I just ended up tucking in the edges whether they touched the bottom pie crust or not.  I then indented the edges with just my thumb.

With a sharp knife, cut in around 8 slits throughout the top pie crust.

Bake in 450-degree preheated oven for 10 minutes then turn it down to 350-degrees and bake another 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

This was all that was left the following afternoon.

This was a very, very simple recipe.  The only part I dislike the most is cutting up the apples but other than that it was easy as pie!! ;)  What hubby and I liked the most was the crust.  I think from now on, I'm going to use Marie Callender's piecrusts.  They're thick, toasty and flaky, homemade tasting and just plain good.  ~isavortheweekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...