Friday, May 13, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup and a Sub Sandwich

2 cans tomato soup (I used Campbell's plain and Tomato Bisque)
1 can Hunt's roasted tomatoes
1/2 heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 tbsp. fresh oregano
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Fresh ground pepper for flavor
1 12" New York Club Sub, cut in thirds or half


In a medium size pot combine the cream, tomato soups, roasted tomatoes over medium heat.

With an immersion blender (a birthday gift from my daughter-in-love and son), blend tomato mixture until completely blended.

Then add the shredded parmesan cheese and blend in.  Sprinkle with pepper.  No salt is needed as it's salty enough - trust me, it is salty enough - and I love salt.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve and enjoy

I'm on vacation.  Taking time off of work.  Enjoying being home.  Yesterday (Thursday) was my first day off and I spent it all day with my awesome, jolly 9 1/2 month old grandson :)  This morning, my mother-in-law (MIL) and I went to buy groceries and since I didn't have anything to eat before I left - not even my coffee!, I was starving by the time we got home.  While at the grocery store, I decided that I would make a soup and sandwich for lunch as I knew it would not only be quick and easy but delicious.  I bought two kinds of their 12" long sub sandwiches from their deli section making my lunch fixin's so much easier.  For the last couple of months, I've gone to Panera Bread a couple of times and each time, I bought their Creamy Tomato Soup and Turkey Sandwich on Foccocia bread.  The first time I had it I was smitten!  It was SOOO good and knew I had to learn to make it myself.  My attempt today would probably be graded a B-.  It was good and very satisfying but the tomato soup, if you can believe it or not, was not tomato-ee enough.  I'm convinced it's because I used canned soups - Campbells brand :\  So next time, I'm going to try to make it from real tomatoes, I may even try buying some grape tomatoes and try roasting them myself.  I didn't add salt at all and I'm notorious, just like the tv chefs in adding my kosher salt but unfortunately sometimes too much :\  but this recipe does not need it, it had plenty from the canned soups.  All in all, it was still a very satisfying, tasty, quick lunch big enough to be our "large" meal for the day, so I'm free tonight - I don't have to cook :)  ~isavortheweekend



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...