Sunday, May 23, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

by Tracey Merworth from the the San Pasquale The Kitchen Saint - St. Luke's Episcopal Church in La Union, NM

INGREDIENTS:
10 Sausage patties (Gunnoes sausage is the best here in central VA)
3-4 cups French bread, firm day-old, cubed
2 cups muenster cheese
10 Eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 large shallot, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Cracked pepper to taste

Brown sausage in skillet and drain.  Arrange cubes in 9" x 13" oven proof dish.  Evenly distribute cooked sausage over bread.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Beat together remaining ingredients and pour evenly over bread, cheese and sausage.  Cover and chill overnight.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cover and bake casserole for about 45 minutes (take cover off last 10 minutes) until eggs are and and lightly browned on top.  DO NOT OVERBAKE.

We cooked a brunch for grandma this morning and took it over to her house and enjoyed it together.  This is my first time I ever cooked a breakfast casserole.  I had to think of something to take for all of us to eat and cooking sausage, eggs, toast separately to transport didn't sound like a good idea so I looked for a breakfast casserole recipe in a church cookbook my BFF gave me for my birthday and there it was.....just the one I was looking for.    I did tweak it a bit.  The onions and garlic I sauteed and then added them to the egg custard before pouring it over the bread.  I like my onions carmelized and my garlic soft and not crunchy when biting into them.  I also made some sweet rolls (thanks to Pillsbury), took some coffee and some orange juice.  There's plenty of leftovers so we left some for grandma and brought the rest back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...