Friday, December 31, 2010

Pineapple-Mango Salsa

by Pioneer Woman


INGREDIENTS:
1 fresh pineapple
1 mango (not too hard but not mushy)
1 jalapeno
1 lime
1 bunch cilantro
Kosher salt




Cut the top off the pineapple

Trim the sides off

Cut three wedges at a time

Slice the wedges

Cut the slices across the wedges and start dicing.  Place in a bowl

I had to skip the whole mango pictures and all because it seems I bought one that looked really bad.  It was firm and felt right but as soon as I started cutting into it, it looked bruised in different places and the color was dark and splotchy, I tasted it and there was no "mango" flavor to it at all.  In my opinion, it looked like it had been frozen much longer than it should have been hence the discoloration and no flavor.  I don't know but Pioneer Woman says that if we couldn't find a mango, using just the pineapple would be fine too, so that's what I had to end up doing.  Now, onto the next step....

Cut the onion in half and start slicing

and dicing.  Place in same bowl with pineapple.

Cut the jalapeno in quarters and if you don't want the veins and seeds (because they're a lot hotter), go ahead and trim them off like I did.

and start dicing them up and place in bowl

Cut off about 1 cup of cilantro and chop it up, place in bowl

Cut the lime in half and ream the limes, place in bowl

Squeeze the lime juice into the pineapple mixture

 Add a sprinkle or two of kosher salt, mix everything together until well blended


I made this on New Year's Eve night, the night before our family Christmas/Holiday get together. I  wanted all the ingredients in the salsa to sit all night and blend or "marry" each other just so that it will taste much better.  We'll see how everyone likes it ....or not.  I'll keep you posted.  :)  ~isavortheweekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...