Monday, September 30, 2013

Polenta Tamale Pie


I pulled these first two leftover ingredients from my refrigerator:
1/2 lb. cooked ground turkey (left over from my Zucchini Pizza Crust)
2 cups cooked black beans (left over from a batch I ate with Quinoa over the weekend).  Drained and rinsed.
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can whole chick peas, drained and rinsed.
1 canned jalapeno, diced (remove stems and seeds)
1 tube of vegetarian Polenta, flavored with garlic and basil
4 slices muenster/colby cheese, cut in halves

Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add the cooked chicken, black beans, chick peas and the tomatoes.  Combine thoroughly.

Stir in the diced jalepeno.

Simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid thickens.  Spray another skillet (10") with cooking spray.  Transfer the bean mixture into it and pat down.

This is the Polenta I bought

Slice the whole roll into 1/2" slices

Place slices on top of bean mixture.  I took the end of the Polenta, crumbled it and placed the pieces into any open gaps as shown in the image above.

Place slices of cheese on top of the Polenta to cover most of it (add more if you'd like).  Bake for 25 minutes.

Let set for five minutes.  Serve warm.



I have never cooked with Polenta.  This is my first time.  I've heard about it on FoodTV and when I saw it on the shelf, I grabbed a tube with no idea what I was going to do with it.  As I searched for ideas on the internet, a Mexican tamale pie jumped out at me.  I have my own recipe for Tamale pie so that's what I decided to make with it.  I'm so glad I did.  This was really good and healthy (low fat, low carb), even my meat and potatoes man enjoyed it.  We have plenty of leftovers for another two meals!  Yay!  Savoring the beginning of a new week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...