Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fresh Tomato Salsa



INGREDIENTS:  2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lbs.), stems removed, finely diced.  |  1/2 red onion, finely diced  |  1 jalapeno chili pepper, stems, rib, seeds removed, finely diced  | Juice of one lime |  1/2 cup chopped cilantro  |  Cumin to taste| Salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS:
Start with chopping up 2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes.  Prepare the jalepenos peppers.  Be very careful while handling these hot peppers.  If you can, avoid touching them with your hands.  Use a fork to cut up the chilies over a small plate, or use a paper towel to protect your hands.  Wash your hand thoroughly with soap and hot wather after handling and avoid touching your eyes for several hours.  Combine all of the ingredients in a medium size bowl.  Taste.  If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato.  Add cumin for added taste.  Let set for at least an hour for the flavors to combine (or as some chefs say, "marry").

I made this recipe back in May along with my "Carnitas" recipe but when I posted it, i realized that I didn't take any pictures of the salsa so, I made sure that this time I wouldn't forget.  I cooked Carnitas along with a Mexican feast for my boy who loves Mexican food and who will be headed back to Iraq to finish his tour of duty over there.  This Salsa goes great with the Carnitas and I'm glad I was able to take pictures of it this time.  Below you will see a plethora (well really only three) of pictures that I took.  It is such a beautiful dish I couldn't help it.  ~isavortheweekend


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...