Sunday, April 3, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken Thighs

by Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow-Cooking  (click on photos for larger image)


8 chicken thighs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
2 tbsps. unsalted butter
2 tbsps. canola oil
1/4 cup mirin
1 tbsp. sugar
Sliced green onions for garnish


Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper.  

In a nonreactive bowl, stir together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Add the chicken thighs

 and turn to coat.

Marinating chicken ready to go into the refrigerator

Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, turning frequently, for at least 1 hour or up to overnight
  
Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels.  Discard the marinade.

In a large frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the canola oil.  Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken and cook, turning frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes.

Transfer all the chicken to the Dutch oven.  Add mirin and sugar and turn the thighs a few times to coat.  Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is opaque throughout, about 30 minutes.  Uncover and cook, turning often, until the thighs are glazed about 10 minutes longer.

Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter, garnish with green onions and serve at once.

I'm a BIG, BIG fan of Asian food.  This was a fairly simple recipe, took more time than I anticipated but I know once I make it several times, it will be quicker and even easier.

I served this with fried rice which made this whole dish complete.  I also used Tamaru soy sauce instead of just regular soy sauce which I believe made a big difference.  Tamari soy sauce is like the Rolls Royce of soy sauces, much richer flavor in my humble opinion.  Because I love Asian food so much, this meal was deeeelicious.  Not my hubby's favorite but he still ate it.  Guess that will happen every now and then so it's good to know, that way I can make it when he's out of town.  I also believe it would be a great dish for company.  ~isavortheweekend


For dessert, this is what I made and I justed posted it:  Chocolate Pudding Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...