Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Stock Talk


1 20 lb. turkey
1 stick butter, softened
1 orange cut in quarters
1 garlic bulb
1 med. onion, cut in quarters
1 bundle of Rosemary, Sage and Thyme, tied
1/4 cup fresh chopped Rosemary, Sage and Thyme
Kosher salt
Black Pepper

Preheat oven at 275F degrees.  Place one oven rack in the bottom level of the oven.
 Stuff the turkey cavity with the orange, onion, garlic and fresh herb bundle and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Combine butter, and chopped herbs and add a dash of salt and pepper.  With your fingers scoop 2/3 of the herb butter and spread it all over UNDER the skin, from the breasts to the legs being careful not to tear it.

 Take the rest of the butter and spread it all over the top of the turkey skin including the legs and wings.  Bake uncovered for 3 hours.

 Carefully remove from oven after three hours and baste with it's own juices from the bottom of the pan.  Turn heat up to 350F degrees.  Return turkey to oven.

Bake for another three hours, baste often.  Remove from oven, cover with some foil and let set for 1/2 hour before carving and serving.

Just had to insert the homemade pie I made :)

 After the meal, I told my hubby not to throw the turkey carcass out just yet.  I placed it in a pot full of water, covered it and simmered it for several hours until it fell off the bone.

I let it cool completely, skimmed off the fat and then placed it in a one gallon baggie.  Several one gallon baggies.

I kept one bag out and placed the rest in the freezer.  I had four bags full and I'm set with my own stock for the next several months.

I've been making my own chicken stock for the past several months and it's been so worth it.  I will now forever make my own every time I have roasted chicken or turkey.  I've gotten the idea from several television cooks, seems like most of them use their own stock.  The taste is far better not to mention the pennies you'll be saving.  We had a wonderful time together with family.  I played football with my grandson after our big feast and I wore him out ;)  and vice-versa.  I hope and pray your Thanksgiving was a blessed one and you savored every moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...