Thursday, February 10, 2011

Potato Cheese filled Pierogies - Super Bowl XLV cont'd

POTATO FILLING:
5 large red potatoes, boil until soft.
1 large onion, diced and sauteed in butter
4-8 oz. grated cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

While the potatoes are boiling, dice and saute the onion.
After the potatoes were soft, I drained them poured them into a food processor along with the sauteed onions.  Blend well.  You can also use a potato masher but I couldn't find mind.

Once you're done blending them in the food processor transport them back to the same pan.  Sprinkle in the cheddar cheese and parsley and blend well.  Set aside and let cool.  Once it's cooled down, put around a tbsp. (depending on how big the Pierogi circle is) and roll into a ball.  Set the balls aside, and cover until ready to use.


PIEROGI DOUGH
2 cups flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling dough
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream, plus extra to serve with the pierogi
1/4 cup butter, softened and cut into small pieces
butter and onions for sauteing
Enough Pierogi dough balls (filling)

Mix the flour and salt.  Beat the egg, then add all at once to the flour mixture.  Add the 1/2 cup sour cream and the softened butter and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness (about 5-7 minutes).  You can use a food processor with a dough hook for this, but be careful not to over beat.  Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes or overnight (it can be refrigerated up to 2 days).  Yields 12-15 Pierogies, depending on size.  ( I didn't take any pictures of this process because it's just the same as any other dough I've mixed in my mixer but then when it came to roll it out, I forgot since my hands were full of flour and dough).  So, here's the next step....with pictues).
Roll the Pierogi dough on a floured board or countertop until 1/8" thick.  Cut circles of dough (2" for small Pierogies and 2-3 1/2" for large Pierogies - I opted for small ones).  I used a thick, fluted edged coffee cup (I don't own a round cookie cutter yet).

Place a small ball of about a tbsp. of the potato filling (this potato ball was too large for this dough round so I had to pull some off) on each dough round and fold the dough over, forming a semi-circle.

Press the edges together with the tines of a fork. Be careful not to poke holes in the dough like I did :\

Use up all the dough and set all the Pierogies aside until it's time to boil them.

Boil the Pierogies a few at a time in a large pot of water.  You know they are done when they float to the top (about 8-10 minutes).  Rinse in cool water (oooops I skipped this part) and let dry.  I let mine dry on some paper towels and they didn't stick!

Saute chopped onions in butter in a large pan until onions are soft.  Then add Pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.  Serve with a side of sour cream (see top picture) for a true Pittsburgh Pierogi meal.

If you're like me, I love dumplings, especially the ones you find in Chinese buffet restaurants.  So I got excited about these "dumplings" even though the potato filling didn't thrill me too much.  These were fun to make, a little time consuming but I know once I get the hang of it, I'll be whipping these babys out like it's nobody's business.  As far as the taste, well, I'm not sure.  The potato filling ended up being wonderful and I could just eat it by itself.  I would love to someday go to Pittsburgh and taste an authentic Pierogi and maybe then I'll see what the hoopla is all about.  Although, I must add that my daughter-in-law did like them and thought they were good :)  ~isavortheweekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...