by Sunny Anderson
1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup Limoncello or fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 premade angel food cake, cut into 1-inch slices
1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
2 pints blueberries
2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
Heat 1/4 cup sugar, the Limencello or lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract (sorry, I completely forgot to take a picture of this part).
Brush both sides of each slice of cake with the syrup. Cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.
Beat the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the cream cheese with a mixer on medium-speed until smooth and light. Add the cream and beat on medium-high speed until smooth and the consistency of whipped cream.
Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a 13-cup trifle dish.
Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
Dollop* half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread.
Top with a layer of strawberries
Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then sprinkle with more blueberries.
Top with remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a decorative pattern. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Time to share your patriotic posts in celebration of Independence Day, 4th of July!• Patriotic recipes, projects, art & crafts only please (no Etsy links please).
• You can share as many posts as you want just as long as they have already been posted to your blog.
• Link directly to YOUR POST and not to your web page.
• Please include a link back to I Savor the Weekend somewhere on your post. Whether by grabbing my Patriotic button (on the left bar) or by a link. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle if you don’t!
• Please don't forget to pay a visit to any of the other entries and leave them a sweet comment.
• Thanks for your entry, have a safe and Happy 4th and may God continue to bless America!