Sunday, June 24, 2012

Betty Crocker's Southern Peach Skillet Pie


I enjoy making desserts on the weekends.  This is my opportunity to make something from scratch and to enjoy it by taking my time.  I bought some peaches from the grocery store today and wanted use them in whatever recipe I found in Betty Crocker's cookbook.  Here's a quote from the dessert section:

Consider Desserts
THE GRAND FINALE
WE LOOK FORWARD to dessert.  It is like the last act of a play . . . . the happy ending we've anticipated from the first.  This may be a gorgeous fanfare of  triumph, or a homey, heart-satisfying scene.  In the same way the dessert, in keeping with the meal preceding it, can be dramatic and spectacular, or a cozy old-time favorite beloved by generations.  -Betty Crocker

This recipe is in two parts.  First the pastry (shortcake) recipe, I used the "small" version.


Sifting all the dry ingredients

Cutting in the shortening

 Until the flour resembles small grains.  Add the milk, mix well 

Knead lightly.
This is where I stopped the shortcake recipe and started the Southern Peach Skillet Pie as follows:



 
I started to roll this dough out but it tore apart too easy so I just went ahead and patted in into the pan.  This was the only skillet I had close to 8", so there was no extra to hang over the edge much to my dismay.

The main cast of characters for this recipe, six peaches

Slice the peaches

In a large bowl add the peaches, sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Combine well

add peaches to the pastry bread in the pan

Dot with butter and fold over the edges.  I found out at this moment that I should have made the full shortcake recipe because my pastry didn't obviously fold over the edges of my skillet.  I also found out that six peaches were too many so I only added half the peaches and saved the other half for a 2nd pie.

Bake for 25 minutes in a 425F degree oven

I'm saving the second pie for company that we'll be having in a few days, I am freezing it though.

I just saw Pioneer Woman make a fruit pie or cobbler like this just yesterday on her TV show.  It looked so good I wanted to do the same.  I had no idea I would find another recipe asking to do the same. 

Something tells me to add some cream to this

and here's a tip from the BC cookbook.  I had no idea you could do that with potatoes, did you??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...