Sunday, December 29, 2013

Smitten by the Mitten




Lake Michigan, Manistee, Michigan

This is my home for the next month!

Not this spot actually but I will be visiting with my sister and her family who live in this town until the end of January when hubby comes back to pick me up.

The wind was wicked cold today, I had to hurry up and take this pic because the wind was spitting tiny snow pellets into my face and camera lens.  I'm thrilled with the way this pic came out.  Those waves were slapping the shore so loud and so hard.

Downtown Manistee, Michigan - a lovely Victorian town

We are testing ourselves to see how much we can handle these N. Michigan winters for our possible move up here.  So far . . . so good.

Hubby is in heaven.  Since he grew up in upstate NY, he's used to these type of winters, where there's snow all winter.

They do a very good job here in Manistee in clearing the roads.  You can't tell that there's a lot of snow on the ground with this picture.

This is how most of the city looked like today, covered in snow.

This is a ritzy section of Manistee.  These are some homes with a view of Lake Michigan.


The wind was still blowing hard as we took a drive around our tribe's reservation.

We had a wonderful turkey meal at my sister's home.  As we waited they gave me a glass of water with these ice cubes in the shape of the state of Michigan.  Aren't they adorable??

Needless to say, I am, "smitten by the mitten"

Savoring every moment . . . . -Bev

12 comments:

  1. What a pretty place!

    Love the font too:)
    You will have such a nice time..enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very pretty place Monique. I'm so glad my sister and I are close, we enjoy being together so much, I look forward to the next month. Happy New Year! How do you say that in French?

      Delete
  2. Why are you so cute!! haha- I didn't know you want to move up there!! I will never come visit, I don't like that state, and you know I am the biggest baby about snow!! But I will welcome you guys here any time you need some southern hospitality!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww KearBear, love you too even if you are from Ohio ;) Don and I are seriously thinking about retiring up here, that's why I'm up here testing the "winter". It's so beautiful but then of course I said that from inside and warm and cozy home. We would love to have you up here in the summers. We'll live aside Lake Michigan and the beaches are sugar sand, fresh water, no sharks and no crowds like you see you Myrtle Beach. We were here last August and it was beautiful!! But yes, hopefully sometime we can take you up on that Southern hospitality. I have yet to meet your son!!! Love and miss you guys. -Bev

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful pictures of Michigan. The ice cubes are cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee. I always enjoy visiting your blog!

      Delete
  4. We lived in Michigan for a short time before moving to Texas, over 27 years ago. I loved my time there and thought the people were so nice. I never made it to upstate, but I always wanted to. Good luck with your decision on whether to move there or not. Love the mitten ice cubes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, upstate is so different, especially on the Lake Michigan side. The pine trees and lakes, I feel like I'm in Colorado sometimes. It is a big decision to move up or not but it looks like we're leaning more towards the move! I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  5. I really like those ice cubes. The town looks so charming, but I am afraid that there's no way I'd be able to withstand the cold as I am a bit of a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele. I'm a converted wimp ;) I'd rather be cold than live through another summer of heat and humidity. Guess I'm getting old ;) Take care.

      Delete
  6. One of these days I am going to visit Michigan. Your pictures of Michigan are very inviting. The ice cubes are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A trip to Upper Michigan is a must for your bucket list, especially along the Lake Michigan coast.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...