Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween Festive Cupcakes

by Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa

Chocolate Orange Buttercream Cupcake oh so good!

BATTER INGREDIENTS AND DIRECTIONS
2 butter stick
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar lightlly packed
Cream all of the above in mixer on med. high speed for five minutes
3 eggs - add one at a time and cream well after each
3 tsps. good vanilla, pour in creamy mixture

In the meantime
Dry Ingredients:
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups good cocoa powder
2 ¼ tsps. Baking soda
½ tsp salt
SIFT all above ingredients together and set aside

I had to stop in the middle of everything and google how to make my own sour cream since I didn't have any. Sure enough, the recipe was quick and easy to find and make.  3/4 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup buttermilk.  Use a hand mixer to mix completely.  I was supposed to let it set for 24 hours but since I didn't have time, I went ahead and used it in my recipe.  I thought what could it heard, if anything, if would just make cake more moist, that's my reasoning....  So skip this part if you already have sour cream

WET Ingredients:
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¾ cups sour cream
3 tbsps. brewed coffee (picture above shows me pouring in the brewed coffee)

WHISK all the wet ingredients together

Turn the mixer on low.  Add dry and wet ingredients, taking turns to batter, ¼ at a time.  Mix well but don’t over mix - this picture shows what the batter looks like once it's all mixed together - please ignore my sloppiness :\

Fits in ½ sheet pan that’s been greased and floured OR 40 cupcakes.  If you're using a sheet pan (like Ina Garten did on her show) pour the whole batter in.  Smooth the top and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.  (If baking cupcakes, bake for 20 minutes).  Cool completely.

ORANGE FROSTING
2/3 cup water
2 cups sugar melt in water, lid on, bring to boil 240 degree

In the meantime . . . . . .
6 egg whites at room temperature, whisk in mixer on high
¼ tsp. cream of tartar, add into mixer with egg whites

Pour sugar syrup into egg whites, very slowly, thin stream so not to deflate egg whites.  Mix 10-15 minutes (to room temperature – similar to meringue).

and until soft peaks

Add 5 sticks of butter – room temperature and mix on low
2 tsps. vanilla extract
3 tbsps. orange liquor (I didn't have any so I used pure Orange extract I bought at the grocery store)

Add 1 tbsps. orange food coloring.  I didn't have any but fortunately, I had yellow and red and we all know what that makes = ORANGE!!! :).  I probably used 1 part yellow to 2 parts red.  I mixed it first in a small bowl with a spoon and then added it to the mixer

Not as orangey as I'd like it but oh well, it still taste fabulous!

 Now it's time to decorate.  I just used the frosting 

and candy corn

I frosted the cupcakes first and then I added one candy corn on top

I made enough to take to work, for my daughter to take to work and plenty for us at home

I love all the Autumn colors

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

I bought the candy corn a couple of weeks ago knowing I wanted to use them to make something to take to the office on Halloween. I was at a loss on how to use them but thanks to Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), she made this on her "Halloween" show.  I'm so glad I DVR'd it and when I watched it last week during my "me" time, I knew immediately that's what I wanted to make.  Plus I love the combination of Orange and Chocolate, it's the best kept secret!  I'm so proud of these because it is all homemade.  What a difference homemade baking makes.  The cake is heavier, not airy and the frosting is fresh and creamy.  Who wouldn't want that??   Have a Happy Halloween and blessed week everybody!!
I shared this recipe with:

2 comments:

  1. Your co-workers are so lucky! These look incredibly good!

    Enjoy your Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those look delicious!
    You sure know how to bake up yummy treats :)
    I'm making sloppy joes for dinner, and we'll have brownies that a friend made us for dessert.
    Happy 'Boo' day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...