Sunday, September 11, 2011

Classics Revisted - Savory Minestrone Stew and Raspberry Basil Tea


I've been so in the mood for my Minestrone Stew but did not want to make it or eat it until we had a "Fall" like day.  You know, one of those cool, crisp, chilly days.  This weekend was supposed to be near one of those days and I couldn't wait any longer.  I had hubby go to the store for me the other day and gave him my list for my stew, so excited for the weekend to get here.  We've had a gorgeous weekend, pretty clear and not so humid as it has been so even if it wasn't my picture perfect type of "Fall" day, that's okay, the stew hit the spot for everyone, including my "meat and potatoes" man.  This stew for some reason, came out really thick and savory and ohhhhhhh. so. good!  I served it with some of my "Rosemary Buttered Rolls" and another classic favorite, Raspberry Iced Tea with Fresh Basil.  Click on each said item and it will take you to the recipe and directions.

I didn't cook today's stew in my crockpot like the original recipe, instead I just simmered in my dutch oven for a couple of hours which works just as well.  

I didn't take step by step pictures like I usually do only because I forgot.  Something I 've been doing a lot of lately......so here are some pictures of today's stew, rolls and tea:

The stew is stewing.
As the stew is stewing, time to prep the rolls.  Chop the fresh rosemary with sea salt.

Sprinkling fresh rosemary and salt on buttered rolls.  Bake in oven.

Fresh baby spinach getting ready to put it in the stew - this is when you smile :)

Add the fresh baby spinach to the stewing stew and stir - this is the healthy part of this stew :)

I tried to get as close as I could with my Blackberry camera so that you could smell and take a bite!

Once the rolls are out of the oven, butter again.  Go ahead, do it!  They'll melt in your mouth, I promise that!

Iced Raspberry Tea with Fresh Basil.  I know, I know, it's crazy but don't judge!  Try it first, this will make it to the top of your list of sweet teas.

Dinner's ready, come and get it!!

Minestrone Stew??  Yes, please.

I have shared this recipe with:
*UPDATE* - 9/12/11
Took some leftovers to work.
Ever heard that leftovers are better the 2nd time around?  Let's just say, I'm ready for a nap

8 comments:

  1. Sound delicious! This would be wonderful on a cold, blustery day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'll have a big ole bowl and a roll please:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and so comforting! I love minestrone, and putting spinach in it sound so yummy!
    What a great idea for the tea too! I love basil, but have never tried it in iced tea! I'm trying this tomorrow with the last of my basil.

    Thank you for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY and sharing your wounderful dishes with us!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful meal~ I'm looking forward to soup/stew weather! Love the idea of basil in your tea~ I have a healthy crop so I'm looking forward to trying this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup is a fall favorite for us. Your minestrone looks so good and so do the rosemary rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a healthy and delicious soup. I saw the photo on On the Menu Monday and dropped by to say hello.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Thanks for sharing .Will try some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across your blog on Savvy Southern style and I love your post!


    I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion

    Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy

    projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...