Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Mexican Roots



May 1st  will mark the 17th anniversary of my precious mom going to heaven.  It’s hard to believe it’s been that long, seems like yesterday she gave me a kiss on the cheek. Not sure when the picture above was taken but it's been a long time favorite of mine.

My mom is the reason why I have Mexican roots.  She was born and raised in Central Mexico.  Married a U.S. Army GI who happened to be full-blooded Native American Indian from Michigan, so I'm what some will consider, half and half.  He's also the reason why my name is Bev, instead of Lupita, Luz or Augustina which my mom would have probably named me :)

I'm almost 100% certain my first language was Spanish although you'd never be able to tell all these years later.  I would make mom proud though because I am trying to pick it back up and I'm so much better than I was 10 years ago.

This is the time of year I get sentimental over my mom because it marks the anniversary of her being gone, it's Cinco de Mayo just four days away which reminds me of her, obviously, and because Mother's Day is always soon after.   

I don't dwell on my mom being gone, if I did I probably wouldn't be alive.  Instead I make her proud by continuing on and realizing that part of life is accepting death.  I'm not saying it's easy, it's one of the hardest times in my life but knowing where she is and that the Lord is taking excellent care of her (she's probably trying to give Him a few pointers or two because that's the way she was) I also have the assurance that  I'll see her again someday.

On my sisters last visit she introduced me to this Spanish singer, Rocio Durcal and her famous song, "Amor Eterno" (Eternal Love) and although it was written for a lover, it could also be for a beloved family member, friend, etc.,  who has passed on.  Widely used by many in the Latino community to sing at a memorial service.  Google the translation and you'll see why it's such a tear jerker but yet a beautiful song, hope you enjoy it though.



Hope you're having a great week and please remember to savor every moment!




4 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful to read about your mom, so sentimental and a great tribute to her. I also lost my dad almost 17 years ago and I too feel he gave me a kiss not to long ago! Your mother was so pretty! Can't wait to see your 5 de Mayo table in her honor as well. Thanks for sharing.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot, I loved Spanish singer Rocio Durcal, she died a few years ago, she used to sing with a stunning voice and yes, Amor Eterno is a beautiful song that goes for every loved one. Actually, it was written by Mexican auther-singer Juan Gabriel, who DID WRITE it for his mother after she died and Rocio also sung it! Wow, bet you didn't know! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabby, thanks for the clarification. I think my sister did tell me that Juan Gabriel did sing the song but I don't think she told me that he wrote it and that he wrote it for his mom. Wow, to be able to write such a beautiful song with so much emotion is truly a God given talent. 17 years fly by, don't they? Thanks so much for your kind comments, I truly appreciate them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonny, Louie and Lil one...I love you, know that I see "nuestra madre" in each of you! Sis

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...