Sunday, July 10, 2011

#1 Mary Ellen's Recipes - Company Chicken


6 chicken breasts - boned
6 slices chipped ham - thin
1 pint sour cream
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup white wine
1/2 cups almonds - slivered
Serves:  6

Place ham in bottom of greased casserole dish (I sprayed it with PAM)

Place chicken over ham

Mix soup, sour cream and wine together

Pour over chicken and ham.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Add the almonds and bake additional 15 minutes

Serve with yesterdays leftover Rosemary/Garlic Buttered Salt Potatoes

This was so easy to make.  Hard to believe a dish this simple to make would be for "company" but I'm certain that whoever Mary Ellen fed it to, would've walked away full and satisfied.  Hubby said he was kinda surprised that it asked for wine, I guess only because it was hard to believe that the Waltons would have any kind of alcohol in their home, even if it was used for cooking only, but then the only Waltons we knew were the ones on TV.    It was a good dish.  I've never cooked with sliced ham before and I'm not sure if I bought the right kind.  I looked all over for it and that was the only kind I could find.  The package of ham said it was smoked, "chopped" and thinly sliced.  I figured chipped and chopped mean the same thing but please correct me if I'm wrong.  Since it was just the two of us eating this meal we have leftovers for tomorrow and we're thankful for it.


Post from July 8, 2011 - explaining why I'm cooking from Mary Ellen's cookbook

2 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to your reviews of the recipes found in this book. I grew up watching the Waltons on tv and am from Nelson County, the home of the Waltons but not in Schyler where the museum is located.

    I think the beef that the recipe calls for is dried beef. If you look at Kroger where the canned clams and potted meat are located, you'll see it in clear jars with a blue lid. It has a salty flavor that is really good.

    Can't wait for the next recipe from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look like a wonderful meal. Particularly for company. It just has that extra touch.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...