Saturday, July 16, 2011

#2 Mary Ellen's Recipes - Pinto Bean Casserole

1 1/4 cups dry pinto beans to equal the 3 cups cooked beans she's asking for in her recipe
4-5 quarts of water
1 large can tomatoes
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese - grated
Salt and pepper

She doesn't say to use can or to make your own beans so I opted for the latter.
Wash and rinse the dry beans under cold water.  Pick out any rotten beans or dirt

Put the beans in 3 or 4 quarts of water.  Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 hours.

Always have some water on the side as you'll need it to refresh the pot of beans throughout the cooking time

The beans are done when they're soft and a beautiful brown

Just before the beans are done, Simmer tomatoes and sugar in a saucepan

Blend flour and water until there are no lumps

Add to tomatoes and stir until slightly thickened.

Place cooked beans in greased  2-3 qt. casserole dish

Pour tomatoes over beans

Grate cheese (please don't buy already grated cheese - unless you're in a really, really, really big hurry - fresh cheese makes such a big difference in all your recipes). 

Sprinkle with cheese and dot with butter (I completely forgot to dot with butter).  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

I gave hubby Mary Ellen's cookbook and told him to pick what he would like for me to cook today.  He actually picked this recipe as well as Country Fried Steak.  He was oh, so very happy with his choices.  He loved them both and said they were deeeeelicious!!  My mission is complete :)



On a side note.  I am staying true to Mary Ellen's recipes but making these beans was very difficult for me to do other than the way I'm used to cooking them.  The Mexican in me wanted to add all kinds of spices like garlic, cumin, chili powder, onions.  It just didn't feel right cookin them any other way but I stayed true, plus hubby was very happy and that's all that matters.  Although, next time I do make this, I do plan to add my spices and maybe just a little more cheese and oh!  butter dots.

My Cooking Mary Ellen's Recipes story, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...