Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fresh Peach Cobbler with Nutmeg

4 cups fresh, sliced peaches
2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup water
8 tbsps. butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup 1% milk
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 whole nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar and the water in a saucepan and mix well.  Bring to a boil and simmer  for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Put the butter in a 3 qt. baking dish,

and place in oven to melt.

In the meantime......grate 1/2 tsp. of fresh nutmeg. 

As well as a cinnamon stick to get about 1/2 tsp.  The aroma from these spices is aMAZing.  Set these spices aside.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour and cream and milk slowly to prevent clumping.  

Pour mixture over melted butter.  DO NOT stir.

Spoon fruit on top and then gently pour in syrup.

Sprinkle top with the ground nutmeg and cinnamon.

Batter will rise to top during baking that's why I put a tray underneath to catch any drippings.  Bake for 30-45 minutes.

I let it set only while I took the time to prepare a bowl of chocolate ice cream for my hubby and then spooned  the hot cobbler over it. 

I also admired it just before I cut into it.  Just look at the golden brown crispy crust with the bubbling peachy juice oooozing out :)

So good and ready to dig in!!!  YUM!!


I bought some peaches over the weekend at our local Farmer's Market.  I saw a peach dish online that  someone had made, it looked so delectable that I decided to do something with the peaches that I bought.  I immediately thought of cobbler.  I only had four peaches for this recipe otherwise I would have used at least one more.  I don't usually bake during the week but since I had to do something with those peaches plus I wanted to surprise my hubby as he hasn't been feeling well.  When I read that the recipe asked for cinnamon, I thought to myself, "why not the nutmeg too"?  I've been wanting to use my fresh nutmeg (is it a nut or a bean?) ever since I bought it and IT. DID. NOT. DISAPPOINT!!  What a nice treat in the middle of the week and in the summer time.  Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far!

5 comments:

  1. I'm running my head off getting ready for the wedding Mon . and the reception on the 6th of Aug. But... I wanted to stop by and tell you that I made my sweet hubby your yummy recipe for grilled brat sandwiches. Huge hit!! Thanks again for sharing!! B.T.W... the peach cobbler looks to die for! Another 'have to make one of these days!'
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your beautiful blog and gorgeous photography. Thanks for sharing this recipe last week on Fresh Food Friday/Seasonal Saturday. It was FEATURED today on this week's edition. I hope that you can stop by, check it out, grab the featured button, and share another recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I wish I had a big bowl of this cobbler right now! LOVE peaches and this looks wonderful.

    I'm a new follower and look forward to getting to know you. Stop by and say hi when you can!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really know how to make the most out of local peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peach Cobbler is a summertime staple here at our cottage. Your recipe looks delicious and your photo has me drooling. Great post! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...