Sunday, July 10, 2011

Grilled Bratwurst Hoagies and Salt Potatoes


1 pkg. bratwurst
1 pkg. turkey kielbasa (for me)
2 green peppers
1 sweet pepper
1 red onion and 1 yellow onion
1 pkg. 6-8 hoagie sandwich rolls
Olive oil
1/2 stick of butter

I bought these lovely peppers at the local farmer's market

Three phases in cutting the green pepper:  Cut the top off.  Slice in half (trim off the veins) and then cut in semi-thick strips.

I can't remember the name of this green pepper but it is sweet

Slice the onions

Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.  Combine with your hands......YES. I said your hands.  :)

Pour onto a large sheet of foil.  Fold the foil over the peppers and onions to make a well sealed pouch.

Set in the back of a hot grill and let the loveliness begin

Prepare the bratwurst by placing on a large tray.  Slice the kielbasa into 3"-4" pieces.  This recipe can be done with just the bratwurst but since I don't like bratwurst, I chose turkey kielbasa.

Place links on hot grill - watch carefully and do not overcook (which I kinda did).  Poke some holes all the way through the foil pouch so that the peppers and onions can start carmelizing

In the meantime, melt 1/2 stick of butter and brush the butter over the hoagie rolls

Set aside

When the meat is done, place on a platter, cover with foil and set aside.

Take the hoagie rolls and place face down on the hot grill.  They only take a few minutes to toast so keep a close eye on them

Check on the peppers.  At this point you can choose to either take the peppers off the grill or continue to grill to your liking.  I personally like them a little softer and a little more carmelized.  (I placed two small kielbasa links in the peppers.....just because :)  )

Split a link of bratwurst, place it on top of the bottom of a roll.  Top it with plenty of the green peppers and onions serve with Rosemary/Garlic Buttered Salt Potatoes (see recipe below) and complete with the top of the roll, press down a little bit and that's it.

Rosemary Garlic Buttered Salt Potatoes
1 bag of salt potatoes
1 bunch of fresh rosemary, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stick of butter
Kosher salt
Black pepper

I bought this bag of salt potatoes on our recent trip to upstate NY.  Apparently these are a big deal up there.  This bag comes with a bag of salt, oh about 1/2 a cups worth.  You're supposed to boil these potatoes along with the whole bag of salt because it's supposed obviously season the potatoes throughout and bring out the flavor while they're boiling, instead of seasoning them afterwards at the table.  I did not add the whole bag of salt.  It scared me.  I love salt but not that much.

So take the potatoes, wash and scrub them gently under cool running water

Pour the potatoes into a large pot of water.  Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.  Once they're done boiling, strain the water and keep the potatoes in the strainer.  Put the potatoes and strainer back into the emptied pot and cover with a clean cloth and let set for 15 minutes.  The potatoes continue to cook because they're still hot but they will come out just right - not too mushy, not too hard.
  
  If you haven't done so yet, mince the fresh rosemary and the cloves of garlic

Melt the stick of butter

Add the rosemary and garlic in the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.  Stir completely, saute for a minute and then set aside.

Place potatoes in a glass bowl or casserole dish.  Pour melted seasoned butter over potatoes and stir gently.  Serve with Bratwurst Hoagies, or with any other dish, or just by themselves...mmmmm!



This recipe was featured on La Bella Vita's - Fresh Food Friday, on July 14, 2011

9 comments:

  1. You're a girl after my own heart :)
    Everything looks so delicious!
    We love to grill, and I think this recipe is one that we will have to make this week! And, rosemary and potatoes.....NOTHING better!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a yummy meal! My husband loves Brats and I'm like you and prefer a turkey kielbasa. Adding the roasted peppers and onions to the sandwich sounds so good. We usually eat them with saurcraut and mustard. Those potatoes look mighty good, too.

    I think the pepper that you purchased that is sweet is a banana pepper. I've got those growing in my garden and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great dinner, I've never heard of salt potatoes before. Your pics are beautiful:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You cannot see me, and that is too bad. I am doing the "happy dance of joy" while smacking my lips! This is the most drool worthy post I have read! Your picture first won me over and then I read that there was grilled kielbasa and potatoes with rosemary and garlic involved! Oh this is a keeper for sure! Look for this recipe ON THE MENU MONDAY next week with a link back to this post!
    Thank you for sharing it with all of us ON THE MENU MONDAY! I am sure there are foodies all over bloggland printing this as I am writing!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have mentioned earlier that this idea came from back in the days when we used to live in upstate NY. The small town we used to live in held an annual fair and this was one of the favorite foods served. I worked the booth one year and there was a constant line of people want to sink their teeth into one of these hoagies. They originally used Italian sausages so can you imagine how much more wonderful this sandwich tasted?? My favorite memory was the piling on of the grilled green peppers and onions. Back then, no one really paid attention to the high fat content and calories so with the kielbasa (for you weight conscience bloggers), it makes for a very good substitute. Paula, I believe you're right about it being a sweet banana pepper. The farmers I bought them from said it was their first year of growing them so they wanted me to make sure I told them how they tasted. They will certainly hear good news. I wish I could grow a pepper garden and hopefully I will someday. HTAPIM, I bought these at my favorite store called Wegmans. We were told that they get sold off the shelves as soon as they fill them. I'm not sure what kind of potato they are and why they're called "Salt potatoes" but inside the bag of potatoes comes a packet (about a 1/2 cups worth) salt. You're supposed to pour the salt in the water the potatoes are boiling in which will make them salty enough to not add any salt when you get ready to eat them. I did not use all the salt as my hubby and I are try not to use too much of it but the pictures you see tell the whole truth - they are indeed scrumptious. Hubby says you can almost "pop" them into your mouth. My "Blackberry" camera is truly amazing. The flash isn't working anymore, so it's a good thing that I do most of the cooking during the day while they're still sunlight out. STONEGABLE, WOW!!!! I am so touched and SOOO honored! Thank you so much for featuring this hoagie and potatoes. It's a simple dish to make and perfect for Summer. Just picture yourself eating one at the local community fair :) Thanks again bloggy friends! Your kind words are so moving and I am humbled. -mzzbev

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the invite to your linky party! I'm so sorry I missed it...just getting around to a gadzillion emails!!! The recipes on your blog look delicious! Will follow!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous dinner and your pictures are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes what a great photo! I am not a fan of brats either but I would definitely make this with kielbasa or metts! Great recipe! I wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops, my error! It is THIS recipe for bratwurst that was featured today. I apologize for any confusion.....but that peach cobbler looks fantastic!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...