Monday, July 18, 2011

Migas

by Pioneer Woman - Ree Drummond

1 medium onion
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
4 tomatoes
1 or 2 jalapeño
10 to 12 large eggs
1/4 cup half and half (I didn't have half & half so I used 1% milk)
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas
Canola oil for frying
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1/4 to 1/2 chopped cilantro, depending on your taste
1/4 cup sour cream (I did not have any)
Orange slices for garnish (did not have either)

Since it was a busy weekend.  I chopped the peppers, onions, jalapeño and cilantro the night before.  I placed the peppers and the onions in the same storage bag.  I placed the other two in their own separate bags as well.

In a bowl, beat the eggs and the half and half, set aside

I sliced the corn tortillas into long strips

Heat up the oil in medium heat then add the strips of corn tortillas.  Just fry them until they're no longer floppy.

Take them out of the pan and drain them on a paper towel.  Then place them on a cutting board.  With a sharp knife, cut into large squares.  Set aside.


In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and bell peppers in the olive oil and butter until they develop a little color.


You want the veggies to have some brown and black areas, but not be soggy or soft.

In the mean time, if you haven't yet, chop the tomatoes and then throw them in the skillet and cook for 1 minute.

Next throw in the tortilla chips

and then the jalapenos.  Stir the mixture and reduce the heat to low.

When the skillet has cooled slightly, pour in the egg mixture.

With a spatula, very gently fold the mixture together, allowing the eggs to cook slowly.  Do not stir the mixture; just turn it slightly.

When the eggs are cooked, throw in the cheese and plnty of chopped cilantro.  Taste to check the seasoning (I failed to do this part because they needed to be a little more salty), adding more salt, pepper or cheese as needed.  Top with a dollop of sour cream and serve on a plate with orange slices or other fresh fruit.


Because I had family from upstate NY come and visit this past weekend, you want to be the perfect hostess in not only giving them a comfortable place to rest and relax but also some good food. For dinner, I cooked up a batch of Carnitas, Salsa, Mexican Rice and leftover pinto beans from over the weekend. If you've never had Carnitas, you don't know what you're missing! It's a great Tex-Mex plate of delicousness.

For breakfast this morning I decided to make Pioneer Woman's "Migas". Here's an excerpt from PW's cookbook explaning what Migas are: Unless you've visited or lived in the Southwest, you probably haven't heard of migas, an exceedingly flavorful scrambed egg dish made fabulous with the addition of bell peppers , jalapenos, onions, cheese and - my favorite part - fried, chopped corn tortillas. I first tried migas when I visited my little sister, Betsy, after she moved to Austin, Texas, with her husband a few years ago. I fell instantly in love with the one-skillet meal, and felt a little cheated at the time that in all my years of loving food, I'd never even heard of it. And all I knew was, I never wanted to be without it again.

What a treat it was to wake up early before everyone else and start cookin' something up in the kitchen, even if I had to go into work a couple hours later.  I was thrilled to cook this recipe of "Migas" since it took me back to my Hispanic roots.  Corn tortillas are indeed a favorite of mine (not so much my hubby's though) but I'm with PW - they are the main staple for just about any Tex-Mex dish, especially if you do grow up in the Southwest.  I'm all about one-skillet dishes too, especially if you're short on time.  I also served this dish with leftover pinto beans as well as my salsa.   Yum!!  If you like Tex-Mex food, you'll definitely like this dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...