Saturday, July 23, 2011

#4 & 5 Mary Ellen's Recipes - Salmon Croquettes with Pilaff


SALMON CROQUETTES
1 can of salmon
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsps. cooking oil

The only salmon in a can I found at the grocery store

Drain and flake salmon

Add eggs and blend in bread crumbs, salt and pepper

Pat into cakes and place in skillet with hot cooking oil.  Fry until golden brown on each side, about 3-4 on each side

PILAFF
1 tbsp. egg noodles
1 cup rice
3 chicken broth cubes
2 plus cups water
2 tbsps. butter

Brown egg noodles in butter

Mary Ellen says to w ash rice (uncooked) and add to noodles.  Saute 3 minutes.  Stir constantly

Add water and broth cubes (very carefully - try not to splash it all over you)

Stir well.  Cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.  Do not uncover rice during this time.
Variations:  Add 1 cup carrots - grated
1/2 cups raisins
1/2 cup celery - chopped
1/4 cup pecans - chopped

I added a little bit of carrots and some fresh chopped parsley.

Serve hot
We served the Pilaff with the Salmon Patties along with some Pickled Beets from a jar.

Hubby picked the Salmon Patties, I picked the Pilaff and we both agreed on the Pickled Beets.  Hubby grew up eating Salmon Patties.  I never did.  Everyone now and then he would mention how much he was in the mood for some Salmon Patties so thankfully Mary Ellen had a recipe in her book.  Hubby absolutely loved them and so did MIL (my Mother in Law).  I on the other hand thought they were good but not like Hubby and MIL.  Maybe only because it's not my favorite way to eat Salmon.  The Pilaff was the perfect side kick and I really enjoyed that as much.  Hubby and I always eat Pickled Beets with whatever kind of fish we're eating, the tartness of the beets balance with the fishy taste and they go very well together. This was a very satisfying meal for all.  We have plenty of leftover because I don't know if you noticed or not, I doubled the recipe.  Hope everyone's weekend is going well and you're savoring every moment.


Click here to see why I'm cooking recipes from Mary Ellen's Recipe Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...