Sunday, November 20, 2011

Grandma Coles Candy Cane Cookies


1 cup shortening, softened
1 cup 10x sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red food coloring
1/2 cup crushed peppermint
1/4 cup of granulated and 1/4 cup of sugar crystals, blend together

Preheat oven to 350F degrees
Combine the shortening and the sugar in an electric mixer bowl or food processor with the sharp blade.  Then add the egg, and the almond and vanilla extracts.

Combine the flour and the salt.  Then gradually add the dry ingredients to the food processor and mix.

Divide the dough in half.  Add the red food coloring to one of the halves.  Use a utensil to blend in the food coloring and then use your hands to blend it in completely until it's one color only.

The divided doughs.  Scoop out a teaspoon of each dough.  Roll into a ball and then shape into a small roll

Like this

Take both rolls and roll together until they're one piece like this.

Carefully transfer roll to a lined baking pan and shape into a candy cane.  Bake for 9 minutes.

While the candy canes are still warm, dredge both sides into the sugars

This is another popular Christmas cookie that my hubby's mother baked and sent to us through the mail.  So many memories of her package arriving and with every hand on the package wanting to be the first to grab a goodie.  As a young bride (many moons ago) hubby asked me to make these for him and I haven't made this exact recipe since.  You'll see why.  I'm not sure what it is, but these cookies are the hardest to make out of all of them.  The dough does not cooperate as you roll it so it's constantly tearing up under your palm as you roll it.  When I was younger I was impatient and very frustrated.  So when I asked her for the recipe yesterday, those horrible memories came to mind and I was a little apprehensive.  With many years between the first time and today, I figured being older and wiser would make a difference.  Well,..... the dough once again was being very stubborn but I didn't get frustrated like before.  It was a little time consuming which why it was the only cookie I baked today otherwise I probably would have made another kind.  Anyway, it was nice to sit down and take a break once the cookies were finally done.  



2 comments:

  1. I have a very similar recipe for Candy Cane Cookies my Mom passed on to me. While they are delish, I also can never get the dough to cooperate! Mine usually end up looking awful. There's got to be a baking tip out there somewhere for cookies like this! Yours look lovely though, despite the trouble they gave you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm convinced it's just practice, practice and practice some more. Since my mother-in-law made them for decades, I'm certain that's how she made them without a fuss.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...