Sunday, November 6, 2011

Grandma Coles Peanut Blossoms

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 tbsps. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 bag of candy chocolate kisses
1 cup of granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375F degrees.

Combine all ingredients except candy and the one cup of sugar, in large mixer bowl.

Mix on lowest speed until dough forms

I used my dinglehopper of a scoop to make the perfect size balls.  If you don't have a dinglehopper, you can use the palm of your hands.

Roll balls in the one cup of sugar

Place the balls on a parchment paper or a silicone lined cookie sheet.  It was my idea to make an indention in the middle of each ball,  I don't know why, it was just calling me to take my thumb and push down.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Top each cookie immediately with a candy kiss; press down firmly so cookie cracks around edge.  I sent to Hubby to the store to get a few items, and chocolate kisses were one of them.  When he got home, opened the package for me, he realized he bought the wrong kind.  He was supposed to buy the pure all brown chocolate kisses instead he bought these, white chocolate with a stripes.  I wasn't upset, I told him it didn't matter.  Any kind of kiss will work ;)

Prop for photo shoot

I love my Blackberry Bold camera.

If you love peanut butter, you'll love these.  Guess what,  I can't stand peanut butter so these don't even appeal to me but hubby loves peanut butter so if I don't hurry up and freeze these babies, they're going to disappear!!
These cookies have been made by my mother-in-law for as long as I can remember.  When we lived miles and miles away from her, she always sent us a container with homemade goodies at Christmas time.  This was a favorite with everyone in the family.  Hubby said he was in the mood for them today so I asked my MIA to see if she still knew the recipe.  She had to go hunt it down in her room and sure enough she found it.  I'm not sure where she originally got the recipe from but it does look like she cut it out of a magazine.  She had it covered in a small plastic envelope tucked away in her recipe box.  I have a feeling these will continue to be a favorite for generations to come.

i Savor the Weekend

6 comments:

  1. They look good! Now you need to try to make her famous oatmeal chocolate chip bars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the use of the non-traditional kisses. Yum. The cranberry oatmeal cookies are looking amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would definitely go fast at my house. I like the striped kiss for contrast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I don't remember those. The ones I remember the most are the chocolate covered coconut bon-bons - not sure what they're called. Those were my only favorite - everything else had nuts in it - I don't like nuts in anything. Mrs. 4444, thank you! This was the first time making both, I had plenty enough to freeze unless hubby starts pulling them out of the freezer. Paula, I'm sure when I get home from work today, there won't be any left except for the ones in the freezer.....I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look delicious!

    I just read a story about an entire town that baked cookies for a vets hospital. The story was from the 1940's.
    Anyway... they made 178 dozen cookies and shared with the men in the hospital.

    These p-nut butter cookies where just one of the many kinds that they made.
    I just thought if they had the 'hugs' kisses back in the
    1940's, then those men would have had 'hugs and kisses' !

    Thanks for sharing another delicious recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kerin, what a wonderful, wonderful story. We need to continue thinking about our men and women in the Armed Forces who are now in a hospital recovering from war injuries. What a great reminder and thanks for sharing. -Bev

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...